11 Life Saving Kitchen Hacks Everyone Should Know
You don’t reach the age of 40 without learning a kitchen hack or two. Here are 11 life saving kitchen hacks that I have learnt over the years.
- It’s said that it’s easier to find true love than finding a cling film’s end. Well, with this hack you won’t need to waste precious minutes finding the end. Keep the cling film roll in the refrigerator, you will never ever have trouble finding its end. As for true love, well let’s talk about it some other day.
- While boiling water in aluminum woks or vessels, add lemon peel or slice, they won’t turn black.
- Apply a thin film of oil on your iron woks after washing so that they don’t develop rust. Remember the chemistry class where they taught you how iron oxidizes when it comes in contact with water and oxygen?
- Keep oil rich foods like nuts and seeds in the refrigerator as they have a tendency to turn rancid in hot and humid weather conditions. I also put refined flour and sooji in the fridge as in Mumbai’s climate conditions, they go stale very fast.
- Soften butter even if you forgot to take it out of the fridge. Cut the butter into very small pieces; the smaller pieces will soften up faster than the whole block. If you can’t wait that long or are getting late for work, heat the butter knife on the gas and scrape the top of the butter and apply to your toast.
- To get more juice out of the lemons, roll them back and forth under your palm on the kitchen counter. You can even microwave for 10-20 seconds and then roll. It will get you more juice with minimum effort. I do the same with limes and Valencia oranges.
- Pizza cutter can be used for more than just cutting your pizza. Use it to cut herbs by rolling it back and forth until you have got your desired fineness.
- Dal or soup gone too salty. Throw in a few potato wedges into the dal/soup and simmer for 10 mins. Throw out the wedges.
- Speed up the ripening process of fruits by wrapping them in newspaper or paper bags. I do it with papayas, chikoos and avocados.
- Want to warm up a leftover pizza slice without turning on the oven? Just put it on a skillet, turn the gas on on medium heat, add a few drops of water for steam and cover the lid. You will get a nice warm pizza in under 5 minutes.
- While storing guacamole, put the avocado seed in the storage container. It will help it from not losing its fresh green colour and turning darker.
Hope these kitchen hacks come in handy for you too.